What does it mean that the President is going to end the secure communities program?
– The secure communities program gave police the power to control immigration
– Police can stop and question suspected illegal immigrants
– This sowed fear among undocumented immigrants
– Governors and mayors refused to cooperate with the federal government
– The Executive Action announced the creation of Priority Enforcement Program (PEP) which will focus on apprehending individuals who are actually convicted of crimes (criminals who are not supposed to be here)
Introduction: You ask we answer your immigration questions. Simple. And now your host immigration lawyer Jacob Sapochnick.
Jacob: Hello everybody, welcome to another episode of Ask An Immigration Lawyer.
One of the questions that we got this week was, again, related to President Obama’s executive action announcement is what does it mean that the president is going to end the Secure Communities Program. Well, some of you that know what Security Communities Program that has been highly criticized. It was created several years ago with the purpose of giving the police and other agencies the power to control immigration. Continue reading